How I became My Own Landlord at 30




I became my own landlord at the age of 30, but not in the way you think. I didn’t win the lottery , borrow from friends or family, or even get a mortgage!

For me, being my own landlord means being in control of my living situation, at all times. It means security, it means leaving a legacy, and it means teaching a lesson and being an inspiration to others.

I didn’t take a leap-of-faith into being a homeowner. In fact, I didn’t leap at all. I took two intentional steps that all but guaranteed my success:

Step 1: Deciding what’s important
Before I planned anything, I had to figure out what mattered to me. The incessant ordeals with my landlords and rent fluctuations were the two reasons I knew that I wasn’t suited to being a  tenant. I knew something had to give. While I didn’t care about living in extravagance or excessive luxury (nor could I afford it at the time), I wanted to own where I lived. 

Step 2: Taking steps toward homeownership
I have a full time job, and like 80% of the working population, I also have a side business. I began aggressively saving towards property investment and despite the sacrifices I made to hit my target, I found myself discouraged when I received the monthly statement of my savings account. The state of the economy had taken its toll – depreciating currency and exorbitant house prices pushed the finish line further away!

I was advised by family and friends to take out a mortgage. In fact, after mentioning I was considering taking a mortgage, my banker friend was very happy to bring over the paperwork at his next casual visit to my house. However, the interest rates were just too high, and I had heard stories of repayments gone wrong. I succumbed to the pressures after another episode with my landlord and began looking for a property to take out the mortgage on. I was introduced to a RE/MAX agent to make the search a bit faster as by this time, my lease was about to expire and I didn’t think I would last another year. 

At our first meeting, she was very open and pleasant and showed me a couple of properties that fit my description/ budget and as though she’d heard the back and forth conversation I was having with myself in my head about my hesitance to get the mortgage, she let me in on a life changing secret. You know those defining moments you probably won’t forget? Yes? I had one of those.

Through a strategic alliance with a reputable insurance firm and some RE/MAX home owners, clients and developers, RE/MAX offers potential homebuyers a simplified, affordable and secure path to homeownership. With a 50% down payment of the entire purchase value, buyers can choose to occupy the property while the balance is paid in flexible instalments. All prospective stakeholders are guaranteed the security of the title documents as these are held by the neutral party – an insurance firm. It gets better, the repayment value is only charged a bond rate of 1.25% annually, that’s 1.25% of whatever is left to be paid and repayments can be spread up to 5 years or whatever number of years are agreeable by the seller! Incredible, I thought.

I write this from the comfort of the study room in my newly acquired 4 bedroom apartment, located at Friend’s Colony, Lekki. I have 1 more year until my final payment which I intend to pay on my 30th birthday, as my gift to myself.

You too can take advantage of this opportunity, speak to a RE/MAX agent to find out more about the scheme and whether you qualify, call Lesi 07026020181, Chigozie 07026079797 or Ladi 0702602139 or visit the website
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to us